What's this all about?

A new adventure beckons, and this is once again about my personal journey to make it happen.

It might make you laugh; it might make you cry, but by 'eck lads and lasses, it will be worth a quick skeg every now and then, tha's for sure.

Friday 29 April 2011

First tyre drag completed !!

Well that's the first one done; dragging two car tyres which were lashed together with the finest nautical rope from B&Q (58p per metre and capable of withstanding 60kg of weight) for just over 1 mile in just under one hour.

Oh and my thanks to Jayson at M J Tyres in Rothwell for the kind donation of tyres. I couldn't have done it without you.

Didn't get off to the best start though. I carefully and masterfully rolled the tyres from the back of the LandRover to the entrance of Rothwell Park, whilst watching the 'twitching curtains' across the road ("Do you think that man is dumping those tyres at the park gates Ethel?"). I then rolled them one at a time into the park ... forgetting there was a slope off to the right and I realised just as one of the tyres found momentum and rolled out of sight into the copse ("He is Ethel, he's pushing one of them into the bushes. Call the park warden's office").

Anyway I rescued it only to then find a couple with their dogs, smiling and pausing to watch the nutter tie two tyres together with some rope. ("Do you think he's trying to hang himself or something Michael? Shall we do something ... like get the phone out and video it for YouTube? We'd get loads of hits and probably beat that 'farting baby' video clip from Japan").

As I was pulling the tyres I got a 'toot' from some passing builders, a couple of cars slowed down including a Police car, two dog walkers were interested enough to ask if my fundraising was on the 'web' and two ambulances passed me by. I think they were coincidental rather than someone caring enough to be precautionary. Oh yes and sorry to those cars that almost crashed; didn't realise my shorts were coming down as I bent over to re-tie my shoe lace.

I successfully avoided 4 lots of dog poop on the grass (where ARE the park wardens when you need them to enforce the poop-scoop law??) and can't smell any on the rope or tyres when I put them back into my car. Err not that I was smelling rope and tyres you understand; that would be just weird!!

Anyway, I completed it. What's that bit of muscle below your calf but above your achilles? Whatever it is it HURT !!

So in 50 weeks I have to do that 8 times a day for 8 consecutive days ...... on skis ..... wearing 9 layers of clothing ...... and keep my eyes open for thin ice and polar bears. Hmmm, so NOW I have some idea of what I've let myself in for but at least that will be easier than watching out for dog poop!!

PT session tomorrow at Iveridge Hall so I'd better text Paul (my PT) and say please don't do anything with my legs. Then again, he'll know what that bit of muscle is just below your calf etc etc etc so guess there's some divine intervention in the timing of it all.

Off for a shower now ... but you really didn't need to know that, did you : (

2 comments:

  1. Well done Geoff, although look out for that Polar Bear poo!

    All the best, Mark Evans

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would get less looks doing the same thing through Leeds City Centre surely!? Well done Mr Major! J

    ReplyDelete